Sunday, October 9, 2011

A little fun social activity


This past Saturday I had one of my Student Advisory Council (SAC) meetings. Just for FYI, SAC is a leadership-based youth program that I run for my students. The criteria in a nut shell is that this is for typically developing students who are active in the communities, school, churches, etc. I created this group with another TVI when we were brainstorming ways to teach the ECC to our typically developing students. I'll blog more about that later but not that you are up to speed with SAC, here's a fun activity that we did as an ice breaker. I thought I would share it because sometimes finding ice breakers for Braille and print readers can be hard to find. A lot of times ice breakers have a large visual component to it and it is challenging for our students to participate. I also thought this was a fun mobility activity. 

 Once we explained the activity, my colleague (who is an OM instructor) and I had fun using "right" and "left" in a conversation which warmed up the students to the activity. I found this activity on the site, http://www.ultimatecampresource.com/site/camp-activities/ice-breakers-low-activity.page-1.html. They had a few other activities that were good. They also have a video so you can watch how to play it. We also played "Finding Twins" and "Jedi Numbers" which were both super fun! Here's one to start with. This is Mr. & Mrs. Right. Have fun!!

Mr. and Mrs. Right
Have everyone stand. Read the story. When you say "right" everyone takes a step to the right. When you say "left" everyone takes a step to the left.
This is a story about Mr. and Mrs WRIGHT.
One evening they were baking cookies. Mrs. WRIGHT called from the kitchen, "Oh, no, there is no flour LEFT! You will need to go RIGHT out to the store."
"I can't believe you forgot to check the pantry," grumbled MR. WRIGHT. "You never get anything RIGHT!"
"Don't be difficult, dear," replied Mrs. WRIGHT. "It will only take twenty minutes if you come RIGHT back. Go to Fifty-first and Peoria, and turn LEFT at the stop sign. Then go to Sixty-first Street and turn RIGHT, and there it will be on your LEFT," declared Mrs. WRIGHT as her husband LEFT the house.
Mr. WRIGHT found the store and asked the clerk where he could find the flour. The clerk pointed and said, "Go to Aisle four and turn LEFT. The flour and sugar will be on your LEFT."
Mr. WRIGHT made his purchase and walked RIGHT out the door. He turned LEFT, but he couldn't remember where he had LEFT his car. Suddenly he remembered that he had driven Mrs. WRIGHT'S car and that his car was in the driveway at home RIGHT where he had LEFT it. He finally found the RIGHT car and put his purchase RIGHT inside.
Eventually, a weary Mr. WRIGHT found his way home. Mrs. WRIGHT had been waiting impatiently. "I thought you would be RIGHT back," she said. "I LEFT all the cookie ingredients on the kitchen counter, and the cats got into the milk. You'll just have to go RIGHT out again."
Mr. WRIGHT sighed. He had no energy LEFT. "I am going RIGHT to bed," he said. "Anyway, I need to go on a diet, so I might as well start RIGHT now. Isn't that RIGHT, dear?"

Do it at home: Play this game at your next family game night! General education teachers, this is a fun game to play in your classrooms!!

No comments :

Post a Comment