Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My fave resource for teaching students who are deafblind

I can't believe I did not think of doing this sooner! I am sharing the link for Dr. Jan van Dijk for this post. When it comes to deafblindness, no one understand the beautiful, unique needs of deafblindness like van Dijk!

I had the honor of attending a conference on assessment with Dr. van Dijk at Perkins School for the Blind this past Monday. We had a special treat: we got to observe van Dijk work with a student for over an hour. It was awesome to watch how he assessed him, worked with him and then taught him.

Dr. van Dijk's approach is the method that I follow (and for that matter, what I think everyone should follow) when teaching deafblind children. I am not gonna even attempt in this post to summarize his strategies so I am posting several good links to learn more about Dr. van Dijk. Get a pen and paper and take some notes on this one!!


The official site of Dr. Jan van Dijk, http://www.drjanvandijk.org/
The van Dijk Approach to Child-Guided Assessment, www.tsbvi.edu/seehear/winter02/vnadijk.htm
Let Me Check My Calendar, www.tsbvi.edu/.../Let%20Me%20Check%20My%20Calendar.htm
Conversations without Language, www.tsbvi.edu/seehear/archive/conversation.html
Four Essential Strategies, www.tsbvi.edu/therapy/four.htm

No comments :

Post a Comment