Thursday, September 22, 2011

Can You Tell My Teacher?

I couldn't wait until next week to post this! I participate in all of our in-services for general education teachers and paraprofessionals. I present on items relating to the ECC specifically independent living skills. These are my favorite in-services to do because I can get down and honest with general education teachers about letting our students be independent in the classroom.

I decided to ask my students a few questions to get their feedback to help me with my in-service.
What are the most frustrating things about working with new general education teachers & explaining your vision impairment?
Do most teachers seem to understand?
How is it when you share your vision statements?

  • Cooper Joseph Babycakes Kendall It is an eye opener. But it also takes a while for them to get the hang of it. But it is a neat thing to teach them what then need to do for me and my vision
    September 8 at 8:55pm ·  ·  2 people

  • Cody Laplante Sometimes they treat me like I am so sensitive about it. Either they get really uncomfortable when it comes up, they treat me like I am in Kintergarten or they try to ask my parents what to do. They eventually get the idea that I can speak for myself but it takes a while.
    September 8 at 9:03pm ·  ·  1 person

  • Cooper Joseph Babycakes Kendall KINTERGARTEN NICE CODY
    September 8 at 9:04pm · 

  • Gwen Vartanian It can be hard to explain at times, but they do eventually get it. Teachers try to understand and help which is really nice. I don't mind educating others about my vision impairment.
    September 8 at 9:06pm · 

  • Cody Laplante Hahaha it's true! I once had a teacher that came over and knelt next to my desk and in that sweet elementary voice said "So what do you need from me?"
    September 8 at 9:06pm ·  ·  2 people

  • Cody Laplante True and there are definitely some teachers are very good about holding me accountable and just not making it awkward but others.......not so much hahaha
    September 8 at 9:08pm ·  ·  2 people

  • Cooper Joseph Babycakes Kendall word
    September 8 at 9:09pm · 

  • Savannah Carmack Its actually kind of annoying.... When they hear of your vision impairment they will sometimes talk to your parents like your not even there.... when your standing right there! Then they will point it out right in class and change the whole lesson plan to accomodate you.... kind of embarrassing.... It seems as though the high school teachers are alot more understandint then elementary or even middle school. They are alot more cool about it and i like thar more of these teachers expect me to advocate for myself and tell them when we first me whats up..... otherwise they wont say anything.... unless they have a question. I cant tell that they are really trying.... Like you said Robbin.... They just dont get it.
    September 8 at 9:53pm ·  ·  1 person

  • Savannah Carmack I do like that i am like.... famous in my school.... I am not kidding you when I tell you that every teacher know me! When i walk down the hall and a teacher wll say hi to me and I would be like.... uh... hey... I am a legend in my school! All becaus I am almost bllind! Who knew!
    September 8 at 10:03pm ·  ·  1 person

  • Michelle Alexandra Ward most of them understand, its just i have to keep reminding them when they do no enlarge something. and they forget to write in black a lot. and most teachers like me because i always do my work lol :D
    September 10 at 12:15pm · 

No comments :

Post a Comment