Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Quick Tips for Shopping Trips

Hi blogland,
Here is another of my favorite handouts that I created. Here are my favorite tips that I use when I go shopping to a department store-type with my students.

Quick Tips for Shopping
by Robbin Keating, VRT

Tips for asking for a personal shopping assistant:
 Introduce yourself and briefly explain your vision impairment. Don’t assume the person understands how to work with a person with a vision impairment.
 Plan what you need before you go to the store. Prepare a list if needed.
 Briefly explain what kind of help you will need and if you will require using a cart or basket.
 Know the brand names and specifics of what you want
 Know how to explain how to be guided (i.e. following closely or sighted guide assistance)
 Explain that the assistant will have to tell you the price, if there is a sale, or if there are similar products, etc.
 Know what your budget is and let the assistant know what you would like to spend. Keep a subtotal in your head (bring a calculator if needed).

Shopping for clothes:
 Explain that the assistant will have to tell you the price, if there is a sale, or if there are similar products, etc.
 Know your size of shirt, pants & shoes.
 Know the fabric and special features of clothes you would like. For example, cargo pants have large pockets.
 Be familiar with colors & patterns.
 Know what your budget is and let the assistant know what you would like to spend. Keep a subtotal in your head (bring a calculator if needed).

Receiving money back from purchases-
• Ask for money back one denomination at a time, for example: $5 first, singles second
• Know how the cashier is handing cash over, for example $15 dollars change means three 5 dollar bills or a $10 and a $5?
• Tell cashier politely that you need a moment to fold money
• If in a rush, make sure you sort out high denominations first (singles usually do not need to be folded therefore students can just place the in their wallets quickly)
• Use belly as a ‘folding table’ if needed

Do it at home: Role play with your child what they would say to a store worker. I tell my students that they need to always rememeber that they are dealing with sighted people and they don't get their needs.

Have your child tell the store worker three important things:
1) how they would like to travel (sighted guide or following closely)
2) Be clear and confidant about briefly explaining their vision impairrment (I am blind, I use a cane, etc)
3) Be clear on exactly what you need help on (I need you to read the labels...)

Lastly, stand back from your child when they are at the store. If you are close by, the worker will probably talk directly to you instead of your child. I let my students know that I am reading a magazine far away from them but close enough that I can help them if needed. Happy shopping!

No comments :

Post a Comment