Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Cortical Vision Impairment (CVI)

Do you know about Cortical Visual Impairment (CVI)? CVI is the fastest growing visual diagnosis today. It is a unique visual impairment that requires a specific understanding of its characteristics and teaching strategies.

This is the first of many posts for CVI. I feel that it is important that education teams understand the unique features of CVI. There are specific strategies and simple accomodations that teams can make to help students with CVI use their functional vision better. It is important for you to know that the information I am giving you is just the tip of the iceberg. I work with TVIs who have undergone hours of training for CVI.

Check out this page on the APH website. It's all about CVI: http://www.aph.org/cvi/define.html

Do it at home: Does your child (with CVI) have a space in your home (and at school) that is ideal for their viewing needs? For example, do they have an area that is free of visual clutter where they play or do activities? If not, think about creating a space!

3 comments :

  1. Hi, I am so interested in your blog. there is so much to learnt about cvi. I am a TVI in the UK. I have just started my own blog - have a look www.thevisualbrain.blogspot.com - regards, Maurice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! It would be great to get to know each other! I would love to learn about how vision impairment education is instructed in the UK. I have really started to learn a lot about CVI (thanks to some great TVIs here). Have you read Christine Roman? I'll post some of my fave books soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. were in the uk are you TVI's im on the isle of wight and no one here knows about CVIi desperate to find someone to work with her

    ReplyDelete