Thursday, December 22, 2011

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree...How I love to use thee for my lessons

I was perusing through my usual magazines scoping out new ideas for my students and I stumbled upon this picture. I think this is a great idea for working on patterns! Students who are Braille or print readers could do this pattern. It's also wonderful for students with additional disabilities.

Here's what I think you should do for the modifications for this project: Make a pattern that the students can follow that goes under the food. You can do this easily for print readers by using contrasting colors lined up as the pattern to follow. For Braille readers, you can use tinfoil as the guide and make tick marks at each new food. You could also alternate tinfoil and parchment paper strips to use as a guide. 

I also think you could substitute one of the cheeses with pepperoni or olives, even crackers or goldfish. Be creative! This lesson also teaches systematic search patterns (starting from bottom to top, left to right)

Have fun :)

No comments :

Post a Comment