Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mobile Phone Accessibility

Hello blogland,
I was given this resource by my co-worker about mobile phone accessibility. I am not sure how it works or if it is all that it says to be. Side note: I will start blogging soon about my love affair with Apple products. They are pretty darn accessible for lots of our students (yes, even Braille readers!). I recently took a group of my students to Apple and we explored the new iPod, iPad and the iMac desktop. Details soon....

But this line I am not too versed in so if anyone reading this post is, please comment and fill me in!

Here's some more details about it:
Mobile speak is a program that has a text reader and enlarges print, so that visually impaired and blind people can text and use other features on their phones. Screen contents can also be presented in Braille if the mobile phone is connected to a Braille device with a refreshable Braille display. They have a list of phones that are compatible and I am pretty sure that AT&T has the best deal. Not sure about costs but thought it was a great resource for our students. Melissa uses it and she texts, downloads and listens to music on her phone.


I also saw that they have some free trials of software and that they have an award from AFB. They seem to have a pretty extensive line of products. I would love feedback on this. I am actually going to send this over to my student technologist and few of my Braille students and have them check this out, too. All of my print readers have figured out ways to text! They all text me pretty impressively :)

As soon as I find out more information, I will post it.

No comments :

Post a Comment