Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Have you played Left Center Right?

Hi friends,
Sorry I have been out of the loop this past week. We have been celebrating Halloween like crazy (it seems like we have been nonstop for the past week!). I am back and this is the first of three new posts that I have been waiting to share. This first one is about a fun new game I learned about while making some new TVI friends in Nebraska a couple of weeks ago. The game is called Left Center Right. It's not a new game but it was new to me. This fab classroom TVI uses it as motivation for her students. They have to get all their work done, quiz review, etc. on time in order to play LCR. She introduces it at the beginning of the school year and then slowly fades herself out of the game play so that it's just her students.

In case you were like me and had never heard of this popular game, here's an overview that I found on wwwtoycrossing.com: 
LCR, short for "Left, Center, Right", is a very simple game. Yet it has acquired many fans from all over the world. It is played with three dice and a handful of chips, but it can provide excitement. Yet the fact is in L-C-R there is little strategy involved. Once a player sits in on a game, the outcome is left entirely to the three dice.

... is an excellent game for young children. This seems incongruous, but played with chips, children are continuously confronted with the imperative to pass one or more chips to either the right or to the left. They learn the distinction quickly playing this fast paced game.

This TVI also swaps out the provided chips with larger plastic coins because they are easier to manipulate for her students. I like that she has it on a tray (defined work space!!) and uses a cup for rumbling the dice. She didn't have to make any other modifications to the dice as most students could tactually figure out what was rolled. 


You can buy this game for about $13 almost anywhere. This TVI gives them out as Christmas presents. That's a fun stocking stuffer! I loved this game the moment she started describing it to me. This isn't just a game, but is a great tool for teaching ECC! Is your brain listing all the areas of the ECC? Lead of with recreation and leisure but what other areas you can incorporate into a lesson? I won't give away all the answers but there's several of the nine areas that you can incorporate. I even added Left Center Right into our family game night rotation! My family loves it!


2 comments :

  1. This sounds like a fun game! My son is working on left, right, and center at the moment. This would be a fun way to help teach him about direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun game! The total bonus is that it facilitates several areas of the ECC!!

      Delete